Thursday, December 21, 2006

Not what I expected!


Good morning! I hope all are well today! :o) I recieved 3 more Christmas cards yesterday! :o) Thank you so much! Lisa Jo, John & Krissy and Lori & Todd! :o) Love them all! :o)
Yesterday, I called the hospital to see if I needed to do any preperations for the test before I went in. I'm so glad I called! :o) Whew! :o) They didn't have me down...! lol Way down deep, I was thinking, "YAY!" But, I knew I had to get these nasty tests over with. So, the lady told me that she would call the doctor that ordered it and call me back. Well...I got a call back from the nurse at my doctors that had ordered the test. When I called the hospital, I told the lady what the test was called that was writen on the paper! The nurse told me that she made a mistake! What?? Oh NO!!! :o( What kind? Good or bad? My heart just sunk! She said that she called the hospital and got it all cleared up and to just go in, and they already have my records done for me! I hurried up and asked....What test is it? She told me it was just the barium test! Whew! My heart started beating again! This was the easiest test there is! Whew! So, I get there and what I know is that I had to have barium as they watch through x-ray on how I swallow and how my muscles work. I was taken into this room, and I'm a short woman, and so I had to "climb" up into this chair! I was all ready! But...the doctors were late! Uh!


After 15 minutes of waiting. They come in and start "preparing" my barium "food!" :o( Ick! I had several different cups of barium that were of different thickness, a dish of applesauce with barium paste, and last but not least, a craker with barium paste on it with another cracker put on top like a sandwich! I had to start with the less of the thickness barium drink, it went down fine ( their opinion ), and go from that to the thickest! They did see that it was getting stuck! Then he gave me a huge spoon full of the applesauce mixed with the paste! More of a spoon full then I would have gotten....because when he put it in my mouth, some of it ooozed out! Yuck! I had to just swallow! That was hard to do! That got stuck a bit as well! They gave me the thinest barium to sip on to try to get it all the way down...it finally did! The doctor watching the x-ray asked me where I felt things getting stuck, and I had to point on the my throat where, and he said that was the places that it was showing up on the x-rays as well. Then, the cracker. This time, he gave me the cracker and told me to take a bite that I would normally take, so I did. I also told him that since I was young, I've always chewed my food so many times, and by the time I'm done chewing, it should be liquified! LOL Thats another one of my weird things I do! LOL When I was done chewing the cracker and swallowed it, he said, "Boy...you were right about how much you chew!" lol So I swallowed. I felt it getting stuck too. And I pointed where I felt it, and the doctor said thats where he see's it too. Well of course, because thats where I felt it! LOL :o) And, that was it! I had to drink a lot of water of course so that barium didn't turn into cement. And I sure did! Plus to get that nasty stuff out of my mouth! eeeww!
I came home and had some sprite to try and get that feeling out of my throat! I can still feel that barium in my throat! :o( So...I don't know when that other test will be now, since she made a mistake with this test. And I want to thank all of you for your prayers! :o)
I have another doctors appointment again this morning! Geesh! This time it's just my family doctor. It's just a follow up...I think, it's so hard to remember! lol :o)
My physical therapist came this morning as well. :o) Wow...It hurt so bad! My left hip and leg were the wosrt! She asked me if I had done anything out of the ordinary, and nope, I haven't. And, of course...I cried. I won't be able to see her again until after Christmas! :o( Thats ok though. I need to get off of here so I can get ready to go to the other doctors. :o)
And, I also want to thank you all for the nice emails and comments! :o) God bless you all! :o)


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Glad you made it through your tests okay. My sister had to have those tests done and the first time she threw up so much that she had to quit. The second time she did better and they were able to help her. Hope things get straightened out for you. Hope you and your family have a great Christmas and Happy New Year as I don't know how often I will be online these next few days.
Merry Christmas, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Well, that's behind you now! Do they still give a strong laxative following a Barrium Study? Know they used to, that stuff they used to use was like concrete & would sit in you. Ughhh :(
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

well glad it was the easy one and I hope that taste gets out of your throat nad mouth ugh

Anonymous said...

I hope you got over that nasty tasting stuff, your in my thoughts and prayers
love and hugs
katie x

Anonymous said...

awww Lisa, what you have to go through! You are so brave! Not sure I would be! Thinking of you and sending you hugs your way, take care sweetie.  Millie :)

Anonymous said...

I like the making friends! That is to cute. I know that you hurt, but remember that you are still here, and that is the best place to be. I hope that you have a great day.
Kelli
http://journals.aol.com/kamdghwmw/noonmom

Anonymous said...

Not pleasant, barium-meals (and the like) but you've come through it. Keep smiling!

Anonymous said...

glad things went well... I wish you good luck thru it all.
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I've had the awful Barium test before, it's icky huh ??? Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Sounds awful.
XO
Donna