Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Anorexic


I've decided to go ahead and do this entry. Bare with me, this is a hard one for me to do. Because I still battle this disease! I did my best in posting photo's of me in some type of order. They are mostly from my portfolio. The rest are from monthly model shoots in my area. I wanted to get what I did to myself in the order I did it. My hair is always a different color by the way....I'm always getting a perm and coloring it. :o) Ok...<taking a deep breath> ...This all started at the age of 15. It just so happened that one day, I was doing something, and I bent over and my mom made a comment to me about my behind! It wasn't anything, but at that time, I took it so wrong! From then on, I became an excersice-aholic! I was always a thin person to begin with, plus I'm only 5' 1 1/2"! Short! I never had a weight problem. But when I looked in the mirror, I seen myself the way I am now! I seen that my thighs could be more formed and my tummy wasn't tight enough...etc. It was always something. As I got older and had my kids, I would excersice religiously until I got all the baby weight off! It was against my doctors orders. I had 2 small children, went to modeling school on the weekends and had 2 jobs living alone. I', still this way, but then, I could never just sit still...I was very active. I finally slowed down on trying to tone up, or lose weight. It was always in the back of my mind to count colories and excersice! I met my husband that I am married to now; he was my manager! :o) We got married in 1986! My 3rd marriage and I was 21! I was still always on the go with the kids; taking them skating, the park, bowling, playing tennis, street hockey, softball, you name it, we did it! I had so much fun playing with them! :o) I started to go to these modeling shoots that were being held in the Dayton area. It was a lot of fun! I even took my daughter with me as well, and I have photos of her modeling and her and I together. :o) I'll have to post them, I forgot today. At these shoots, there would be "scouts" or whatever they were called, there and someday you could get a break into modeling. Well, it happened! I was very excited! I went on my shoots, and did print work, and got to keep the clothes too! :o) At the time of the first black and white photos, I was weighing around 94 pounds. I wore a size zero. The more I worked, the more Ifelt the need to lose weight and excersice. I memorized how many calories were in everything, I was hooked on laxitives, and was thinking I was "ok." If I felt that I needed to lose 5 pounds in 2 days, I could do it with no problem! The tone up! I belong to a gym here in town, and went everynight. Things were ok, then I would keep doing this stupid cycle! I couldn't stop! I was in denial! My husband would actually yell at me telling me that I had a problem and needed help! I didn't see it...but he was right! In 1998, I went on another shoot in a southern state. I got down all the way in the 70's! Look at the pictures I posted, and imagine 20 pounds lighter! I don't have any photo's of me then. I wish I did so I could show all young girls! My husband had to hand feed me and litterally take care of me! I almost died a few times! I had no idea what abusing laxitives could do to your colon! It stopped working for a bit! I slowly got better and gained weight. I was finally back to my normal weight...110! To me, I felt so fat! No kidding. At that time, I wore a 2/3! I was all the way down to wearing a size 10 in a little girls! When I went shopping for my daughter, I baught her a size 12! I didn't see anything wrong. Jumping up now to 1999....I had gained weight enough to where I was "healthy" for my body type and size. In the mean time, through all of this, I was also having my fibromyalgia and ms problems as well. So, 1 1/2 years later, I was diagnosed! Those few years flew by way too fast for me! My family loved me enough to care about me! It was almost like having an intervention happen to me before I saw the "real" me! Plus I had a daughter that I didn't want her to end up like I did! By the way....she didn't! Whew! So, I have this disease as well as all the others that I write about. This was and still is a "closet" disease to and for me. No matter what, I can't even take a laxitive if I need to, because I've tried and I got real shaky....it was like a drug addict with drugs! I know if I take 1....I will be hooked again! So, I just don't take any. I still catch myself with my eating habbits. I'm learning more and doing more for myself, because I have chosen to live! :o) And God has helped me through all of this each and everyday! :o) Like I said to someone yesterday, if I actually sat down and wrote down all the things that I have, it would take a long time! And I know there is a reason for each and everyone of them! I do know that I will and do talk about what I go through and have to who ever will listen, because I believe that everyone should be educated about all of this! :o) God bless you all, and thank you so much for your comments! Now I need to lay down...this took a lot out of me o write! I feel it needs to be done to help others. :o)

50 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so understand...I'm at the OTHER END of the spectrum!
Eating disorders are no joke!!!!! Be it over eating or anorexia or bilemia.
Hugs to you dear,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Wow mom! this took A LOT to get out of you! I am so proud of you mom! It should really open peoples eyes and realize how horrible this disease is. I..wow..love the pics too. Walking Ghost!! lol. I love you! Proud of you!
Love ya

Anonymous said...

(((((Lisa))))) you're so brave and courageous to speak out about this. I'm so sorry you've been through anorexia but you came out stronger, you're still here, still smiling. WELL DONE TO YOU!! And you're so beautiful.....thank you for sharing this story. It makes me a little stronger about one day maybe sharing mine with J'Land. You are an inspiration to me. I will always listen and pray for you too. Take a well earned rest now! God bless.
lots of love Debbie ~xxxxxx~
http://journals.aol.co.uk/debbiewebb4465/TheLifeTimesofanEssexGirl

Anonymous said...

hi Lisa...

i have had over weight problems all my life and i do feel for you as i know the weight thing seems to take us over whether underweight or over...best wishes and take care!

Astra!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/astra1547/astrasjournal

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I wish you strength, this sounds like an unbelieveably hard battle

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa, you can do it! You are perfect just the way you are. I was getting ubdressed one day and he said baby you look great. I just laughed. I said first of all, my boobs moved once the children came, my ass has moved even further south, and to top it all off I have not found the time to shave in a week! He said well you look got to me! I am so glad that he does not see all of the stuff I see when I look in the mirror! LOL
Kelli
http://journals.aol.com/kamdghwmw/noonmom

Anonymous said...

That must having taken a lot to write this up .....thank you for sharing it with us take care xx linda xx

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I'll keep you in my prayers

Anonymous said...

wow i admire you for telling your story:) keeping you in my prayers

Deb

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful woman both on the outside and the inside.  It's sad what society does to women, using only models who are super thin and then even airbrushing them some more and taking away all the imperfections that make us interesting and human.  I'm glad things have finally started to change a little bit, you see more real sized woman in ad's and even on tv now.  I'm sorry you struggled with such a hard disease, and still do.  Maybe, in a way, getting the ms diagnosis and the fibromyalgia were a wake up call for you.  Thank you for sharing this with us Lisa, I can tell it was a very difficult thing for you to share.
xoxo, Heather

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Lisa , Your modeling pictures are absolutely stunning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow you are just gorgeous in those pictures and as a person on the inside as well.I'm so sorry you struggled with anorexia as well, I think you are really brave to write this entry, God bless you , Did I ever tell you Anthony modeled before too ? He did !!!!!!!! Love and Hugs To You Lisa

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful...you're gorgeous.

I can only imagine your frustrations with your situation..:-(

Wishing you good health and always, the ability to write as you do!

Lv Stevie
xxx

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful person you are, inside and out...loved the photos...your story touched my heart deeply...thank you for sharing...
Hugs and much love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

ah I see for somereason I haventbeen getting hte alerts on your joruanl and whats weird is Im getting them for all the others. glad you left your link and I stopped back in. I too have battled gettingdown to a 0 and being in 90's for weight. I see myself as fat fat fat too.

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures #22 nad the next with the white dress so flowy. I too am only a short one at 5. 2 and my daugther is 5 feet. both my girls were tiney tiny babies. okay Im off to catch up on what I missed. ANYTIME I dont comment send me an email to see if im getting alerts.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this.....it was a brave thing to do. You look just gorgeous in the pics...even when you are so thin.....i am so sorry you had anorexia....i have read and heard alot about it....i have the opposite problem...obese. I wish you did not have the medical problems you have, you are still a vibrant woman!
hugs, Lisa  

Anonymous said...

This is the best thing you could have done.  It will help you and if it helps just one other person that's a wonderful thing.

I know it was tough to lay all of that out for everyone to see.  But, I believe you will be better off by doing this.

I thank you for sharing and allowing other to peek into your heart and soul

hugs

Deb

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

It took a lot out of you to write this, dear one, but it was good for you. I'm so glad you're where you are now, and know GOD will help see you through all that follows today. As well, I am here for you and as your comment sections shows, many others as well. I'm but an email away, any time you need extra tlc.
Hugs, love & prayers
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Bless you, no doubt that your words today and also the pictures will help so many.  Often like you did, you don't realize you've become addicted to something, be it medicines, eating, whatever - hopefully if any of the readers who are going through something like you did, see and read your words, they will stop and say  "hey that sounds like me" and seek some help.   Arlene

Anonymous said...

Lisa it must have taken alot of courage to share this experiance with us ,very well done  ,keep up the good work and never forget ,we are here for you ,.,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

<<<< applause>>>> well done hun that was very enlightening and important,im sure it did take alot out of you,but well worth it,im sure it has helped many,this is your calling and it is painful i know,so vent with me anytime hun,youre most welcome,have a good weekend xxzoexx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

I know this had to be hard to write.  I'm on the other end of the spectrum myself.  My mother became anorexic the last 7 yrs. of her life because she wanted to be thin again.  Despite getting her help, she passed away 4 mos. later from it and other health probs.  I didn't realize the magnitude of my mom's illness until I had her and my dad come live with us because I had to take care of them.  He was not able to care for her or himself at the time.  I did get her to gain 22 lbs. before she passed away but the damage had already been done from starving & yoyo dieting over half of her life.  Those were beautiful pics and in some of them you were too thin.  You're still beautiful.  In #30 & #31, you could have been a Julia Roberts double in her movies.  Thanx for sharing your story in hopes of helping others.   Hugs,  Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/RoadToSuccess

Anonymous said...

Lisa, wow, what a lovely portfolio but what a price to pay.  At least you got yourself better and realized what you were doing to yourself.  You are providing a valuable lesson for many by telling this.  HUGS  Chris

Anonymous said...

LIsa,
That was me, except I never got quite that thin.  I was a size 2 once, usually a 4.   I was 5'3, now I am 5'2".  You look so thin,you appear taller.  People use to think I was taller, too.I won't go into my details, but they are much the same as yours, excpet I didn't abuse laxatives.  Bad times, not a healthy way to be for sure.  It's still hard today though, because although I am normal, I have that voice in me that says "You are fat."   I can't exercise because of my back and neck problems, but I have exercised enough for 3 lifetimes, anyway I think.   I was not a model.  Had I been one, I may have gotten even worse.
Merry

Anonymous said...

Ive been reading your enteries and I've really found something I can relate to. I struggle with my weight. And I lost a bunch of weight and then I gained it all and even more and I have hated the way I have looked for a long time. I have experminted with diet pills and I do excerise, sometimes not enough. It's only been a short time that my relationship with food has changed and I find myself eating only to get rid of it shortly after. I am sad and confused. You know it's wrong, to do and how it gives you the flase sense of feeling good. Your blog is lovely, true, honest and comforting. thank you

Anonymous said...

You are very brave for posting this and I hope othrs take notefrom it. I myself have an ongoing battle with bulimia and depression which stems from childhood and has caused my family much pain in the past. It amazes me that they still hold up such women as marylin monroe and jane russell, healthy volumptuous size 16 women, as figures of beauty whilst encouraging young girls to lose weight to the point of organ failure to be considered as beauties. SAY NO TO ZERO.
With love and best wishes
Debbie

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
These pictures are beautiful.
Donna

Anonymous said...



you are really beautiful in these photos Lisa...

Astra!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/astra1547/astrasjournal

Anonymous said...

You are so brave!

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I am so amazed at some of your experiences.  You are extremely beautiful in this photo in the worst and best sense of the word.  I had a sister who was committed to bilimia so she would never gain weight.  She didn't get anorexic, however, but in the last years of her life she told me the bilimia was troubling her a great deal again and she was very depressed. So I know the toll both mentally and physically an eating disorder can take.  As usual, I find you very courageous to disclose such an experience which might really help others to stay clear of such severe eating disorders.  I am so glad that you sent this to CarnivAOL to be highlighted.  Gerry
http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/  

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Found your journal via CarnivAOL.  You are a brave person.  I admire your selflessness in putting your soul out there to help others.  You are a beautiful person.--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind

Anonymous said...

That must have been so tough to deal with.  You have been dealing so much, one thing after another and you still have good spirits . . . I love that about you.  Your portfolio is very nice.  Thanks for directing me to this entry.  Luv ya Lisa!

Allison

Anonymous said...

All of those pictures are so beautiful. You have gone through so much. It is almost unbelievable. You are very brave for sharing your story. Thank you.
Wishing you the best. Hugs, Maria

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear Lisa-you have gone through so much.I'm glad that you finally saw that it was harming you -some never do.
you were not only georgous then-but you still are-inside and out.
Bless you for sharing
connie

Anonymous said...

Lisa your story is sad to read, but so many other young women are doing the same thing eating wise....wish your story could be told to all of them to stop the need to be super skinny and becoming anorexic.  It could hopefully wake them up to what it will do to their bodies/life health wise probably for the rest of their lives if they don't die first from this drastic measure of thinking they are fat.  The anorexic could have started your path of health problems you've had throughout all your years.  Sure wouldn't be worth that.  Wish your story could be told to all those dealing with anorexic so they would know to seek immediate help for this mental condition and be able to enjoy a healthy, good, happy life down the road versus spending their whole life with this condition.  Arlene (AJ)

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I am Wowed by your beautiful pictures.
They are all so beautiful.
You are beautiful insided and out.
I am sorry you stuggle with the weight issues.
Years ago I had a boyfriend tell me about my stomach, from then on I always thought I was fat.
I look back at pics of myself in bikini, I was a knock out, but always thought I was fat. I wasted my youth, 20's, 30's thinking that?  This July I will hit 50, I sure wish I had known that I was beautiful.  I hope your journal helps someone struggling with this.
Lucky for me I never became anorexic.
It seems that alot of us women/girls are too hard on ourselves when it comes to our figures.
I have a friend with a daughter and it makes my skin crawl if she tells her she shouldn't eat something, the girl thinks she's not thin enough, & she is beautiful, a size 3 probably.
Manytimes I want to tell her Mom to shut the hell up.
Last weekend I finally did.
Hope you have a great day.
Love,
Donna

Anonymous said...

you my dear friend are a miracle in itself. all you've gone through and still going through, you took this time to share apart of your life. I applaud you my friend. And I pray for you everyday. ((((((((hugs))))))))
Love,
Cindy xoxo

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((LISA)))))))))))))))))))))))I am sorry you had to go through so much and still go through so much.Just know I am praying.

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I could identify with this entry.  At 64 some people think I still have this problem.  Then, other people think it only happens to young grils, but that's not true.  Every time I have wanted to lose 5 or 10 lb., I ended up going off the deep end and losing 2 or 3 X that.  Up until I was 50, I was an exercise bulimic. I ran or swam off every calorie I ate, and more. I was 5'3" in those days.  (Now, my back disks are so worn that I am barely 5'.  I didn't purge, because I didn't want that as my image. I was a star runner, a marathoner, I didn't smoke, I didn't drink.  I led aerobics classes, and worked with weights and also swam 2 miles a day.  I had an image of health I wanted to portray. But mentally, I was never quite thin enough for me, either.  
I don't think you look exceedingly thin, considering you were a model in any of these pictures. But then, Look who is calling the kettle black.  I've been told, I didn't have anorexia, bulimia, but Body Dismorphic Disorder.  I will have it all my life. Basicaly, it means that I see myself completely different than others see me.  I continue to struggle to stay a size 4 & can't get over 100 lb.  But I'd still rather be too thin than too heavy.  The thought of that makes me cringe. I have less chance of heart problems, diabetes, stroke, and the list goes on.  I measure and count every morsel of what I eat--but I do eat healthy, just very small portions, and no junk food. I rarely eat any meat but turkey, although I do eat fruit and vegetables always. I know this is going to sound wrong and crazy to people, but I am proud of being the way I am.  I call it acceptance of myself.  I choose to be this way. We only have one life to live.  I believe we should always like the way we are! I am sorry, I got way too long here.  Merry

Anonymous said...

h